Saturday 12 January 2013

To tweet or not to tweet....

I sold out this week and let Twitter get hold of me; darn the lure of the www!

Thanks to meeting Kerry Katona (see previous blog), she twitttered about my blog and I had 1,221 hits in the first five minutes, slowly rising to more than 2,500 that same evening.  Now, that bird has a powerful tweet!  I could make some hilarious link about birds and kittens (get it?), but I won't......

I've also been ignoring one son's pleas to paint his face like a vampire, letting the other become one with his iPod touch, and whiling away hours at my 'day job' Googling how to promote my blog.
Seems there are two options:

Option A
  • Google + it (seems a bit too Facebooky for my liking - see previous blog)
  • Add ads (if you see what I mean) to my blog page
  • Spend every waking moment tweeting and RTing
  • Find new friends on Facebook and beg them to read my blog
Option B
  • Get a life.
Think I'm gonna choose option B.

I ADORE writing this blog.  I ashamedly prefer it to facepainting (which I'm not very good at anyway) and it's certainly better than my 'day job' (sorry darling, please don't sack me!).  But I don't want my page to be covered with adverts 'relevant' to the text (anyway, I didn't know you could buy bottled crap or gift-wrapped nonsense or you could drive away in a new Audi 'drivel'!).
And, I don't want to spend every waking moment checking my cronky old laptop (I'm not iPhoned up yet) for comments / tweets / mentions yadder yadder.  I struggle enough, as friends know well, to keep a simple text below 80 words.  I simply don't do text talk; capital letters in the right places, punctuation and full and correctly spelt words are wot i wos yrs at uni 4.  See I'm no good at it and I didn't get my NCTJ qualification or my BA (Hons) writing like that I can tell you!

So, if there's just a handful of you out there reading my blog, so be it.  Quality not quantity eh!?

Mind you, it's funny isn't it, friends and family have always said I'm a good writer but it's sad that we often take these compliments for granted or think they're just being nice.
As soon as a complete stranger tweets a positive comment I get all giddy. In fact, I'm so giddy, I've cut and pasted some here!

"Read your blog, love it."

 "Just read your blog and you're a really funny writer"

"We had a giggle reading the in brackets () areas"

"Just read your blog, honest and humorous"

  "What a lovely read your blog was. How nice to be so positive. Well done and look forward to reading in the future"

"Think your blog is very funny and true, hope more people get to read it" (Kerry Katona)

Hey, just thought they could release a 'Text-speak' version of Scrabble, complete with smiley faces!  (I should apply for a TM quickly, just in case Mattel read my blog)  Dragons Den, here I come!

Thank you for reading, as always, and social media prejudices aside, I would be delighted if you would like to 'share' the blog address by whatever social media avenue you choose.  (I know, I  know, I'm such a hypocrite, hey ho! (winking smiley face!)).  And should any publishing house read it and wish to sign me up, I'd be tweeting from the rooftops!!!

Twitter: @diannewatkinson
E.mail:  withdewrespect@gmail.com
http://withdewrespect.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1