Monday 31 December 2012

Seeing double but not seeing red

I was amazed to see a Sheffield Wednesday game make it to the dizzy heights of appearing on Yahoo's world news page (other search engines are available....I'd better say that as my blog is powered by Google!). 
Well, the footie itself didn't make headlines, it was a referee gaff which proved newsworthy.  The silly Billy ref showed a player two yellow cards but didn't follow this with a compulsory red and poker straight arm with angry finger pointing towards the changing rooms.
See, I was right after all, it's the little things that make football interesting, like sending off errors and sprinklers coming on! (see previous blog)
As I know you are now on tenterhooks, I'll put you out of your misery.  Well, firstly a match day weather report.  It was blooming cold; or a 'trousers AND tights day' as me and a dear friend and fellow ex-pat in Portugal used to joke as we reminisced about the chilly UK climes.
The Owls played Huddersfield Town at Town's John Smith's Stadium, formerly the Galpharm, (nb. other breweries and non-prescription medication suppliers are available) and drew O - O.
Yawn.
The highlight for me at this game wasn't the pie this time (see previous blog), it was singing along with 4,000 other Wednesdayites:
      'I've got a shed, as big as this, (repeat)
      It's got a door and a window, 
      I've got a shed as big as this.' 
(sung to the tune of 'When all the Saints').
Tee hee.
And I always find it funny when the rival Terriers and the Owls fans join their voices in unison at this fiercely fought Yorkshire derby for the uplifting chorus of, 'we all hate Leeds'.
As usual at away games, I learned some new, shall we say 'grown-up' words.  Mind you, what are grown-up words these days?  My five-year-old runs around singing, 'hey, sexy lady, oopa is gangnam style' and thrusting his non-existent hips, and he knows all the lyrics to Candy and other 'pop' songs that would have resulted in a straight red card and a sending to my room if I had dared to sing them when I was five!

The ref sees only yellow (not red)