Friday 14 December 2012

It's a game of two halves (apparently)

This is nice, I'm writing 'on demand' today.   A reader e.mailed to complain that I hadn't put pen to paper, or fingers to keys, for a week.  So I'm getting 'my finger out' as I was told to!
It's funny, this particular reader, a friend and fellow Sheffield Wednesday supporter (other teams are available; ones that actually score goals apparently), asked if I was going to be blogging about the mighty Owls.
Well, I guess I would if it weren't for a number of reasons (I feel one of my lists coming on)......
  • I know absolutely nothing about the game of football (I can hear all you Leeds/Huddersfield/Sheff Utd fans shout in unison....."oh, is that why you support Wednesday?!")
  • I just go to games for an afternoon out, a nice pie and a cup of hot chocolate (I'm a cheap date!)
  • Really, there are no more reasons, I just don't know anything about football
  • As a side-line mum watching the Under 10s, I've been known to shout such helpful technical tips as 'stop bunching boys' and when my son scored a hat-trick in new boots, I shouted, 'well that was £34.99 well spent!'  (he's still not speaking to me, two years later)
Back in the summer of 2005 and working in Portugal as a freelance journalist, I was asked to write a live match report for the UEFA website. It might have been FC Porto versus Deportivo la Coruna, I really don't remember, it was a long time ago and an evening I've frankly tried hard to etch from my memory.
It was an unseasonably chilly night in northern Spain and once I'd battled against the city's bizarre one-way loop system and stadium security with my vague credentials, I was given a press seat with a dodgy internet connection, to file a live report!  It went down hill from there.
The game commenced and, having watched Porto play many times, I thought I knew the players and the game reasonably well.  It turned out, I really did know nothing about football and I struggled to even work out who did what when, let alone write about it simultaneously and competently. 
It's the only time in my career, I'm pleased to report, that my submission to the editing team, was COMPLETELY re-written.  
Do I remember the score?  Not a chance!  The only thing I do remember is that a sprinkler popped up mid-game causing a few minutes of disruption.  For me this was the highlight of the evening as I actually understood what was happening. 
Anyway, needless to say, UEFA didn't come knocking on my door, or my inbox, again. 
So in answer to your question, no, I won't be blogging on SWFC games....unless of course, a sprinkler turns itself on and then it might be worth a few pars.


Here's the proof, me pictured at the la Coruna stadium on that fateful night in 2005 with a trusty pal who knew hell of a lot more about football (and plugging in a laptop) than me!!!
(Thank you D for scanning the prints for me - football AND computers, not my strong points!!)