Tuesday 20 November 2012

How do I find the time?

I sometimes wonder where I will find the inspiration for my next episode of rambling but it always seems to just appear out of the blue.
This week a friend, recently introduced to my blog, questioned how I find the time to write.
Like me, she's a working mum and therefore couldn't believe there was enough spare nano-seconds in the day to sit down and write, just for the sake of  it.
Well, I may have mentioned I can type really, really fast so that side isn't a problem although I have moved my desk into the kitchen so I can dash to and fro from the vegetable stir fry and the jigsaw I'm doing with my little lad.
In fact, I remember once wiping my little boy's bum while doing a live and very serious telephone interview for Radio Norfolk.  Now that's multi-tasking!  In fact, if us mums step back and look at our weekly tasks, it's a wonder we have time to sleep. I recall years ago seeing the 'MUM'S TAXI' bumper sticker and not understanding it.  I do now.  In a normal week, our family activities include: -
  • Playing football
  • Streeet dancing
  • Football training
  • Ballet / tap dancing (not at the same time, obviously)
  • Pilates / running (again, separate activities)
  • Playing tennis
  • Watching football (on TV and SWFC live and chilly from the terraces)
  • School / homework / work (running a shop which only ever closes on Christmas Day)
  • Cooking / cleaning / washing / ironing / shopping yadder, yadder
  • Visiting far-flung family (well, Brid is fairly well 'flung')
  • Did I mention football?
  • Community activities - school governor / www.businessbistro.co.uk/
So how do I switch off when I'm not dashing around like a mad woman or writing?  Well, reality TV of course.
My super-brainy friend recently questioned my guilty pleasure and I challenged her to watch just one episode  of X Factor or I'm a Celebrity....  But it didn't turn out too well; she instantly challenged me back to watch just one episode of Newsnight and I conceded defeat. (well there's some MP or other on I'm a Celebrity...., isn't that enough politics for anybody?).

NB: I made a pledge with myself to always be honest in my blog (and indeed, in life). I therefore confess, the vegetable stir-fry and jigsaw comment was a ruse to make me sound like a yummy mummy.  What I really meant was I stick frozen chicken nuggets and chips in the oven, leave the kids on Minecraft and then get writing.

Did I mention the football?