Saturday 13 July 2013

Fun in the sun

I read my own blog back to check for typos and I suppose it's reasonably funny and yet I don't really consider myself a 'funny' person.  My own husband and mother are always keen to tell me I have no sense of humour ('just like your Grandma', my mum reliably informs me).

However, I am fortunate that those around me ARE hilarious and all I have to do is recount what they say and do and, hey presto, I've got myself a blog, hopefully, worth reading.

This week, I've decided I might venture into 'parenting tips'; here's my top five.



Tip number one: Don't stop digging (ever)

Sunday afternoon, Bridlington beach.  I had been tasked with digging a hole while my beautiful five-year-old trekked up and down with buckets of water.

I made sure I was busily digging while Daniel walked the 100 yards back to the hole and then took a small break while he marched back out to re-fill his bucket.

That was until, on one return journey he calmly said: "Mum, you need to keep digging, even when I'm not watching."

What is it they say about parents having eyes in the back of their heads?

Tip number two: Join in (but avoid cold shocks)

It's not just family that supply the anecdotes, friends are superb blog-fodder too and it seems I'm not the only one who will happily participate in children's activities, with the odd proviso.

Teddy was round at this mate's house for a sleep-over at the weekend and, with the sun blazing, aforementioned mate's dad decided they would all have a water bomb fight.

So off he went to prepare the water bombs while the boys played on the PlayStation.
What a fun and helpful father I thought to myself.

But he let me in on his secret.  If he was to be involved in any water bomb-related 'fun', he always made sure he prepared the water bombs himself so he could leave them in the sun to warm them just enough to take the 'chill' factor out of the fun, for his own sake!  Priceless.

Tip number three: Take a walk (it's a big world out there, so share it with your kids) 

Anecdotes come from the most unlikely sources.  Here's one I heard at the dentist.

As you know I run a walking bus at my kids' school and armed with 20 hi-vis vests while booking an appointment, I got chatting to the receptionist about kids and walking, or should I say, the rarity of kids walking.

Debating the issue, the lady told me a story she had heard that week.

Her son's class were on a school outing to some local fields (a field trip, perhaps).  As they walked from one field to the next, her son's friend, clearly exhausted, turned to his teacher and asked, 'are we in a different country now?'

Tip number four: Avoid slip-on shoes (and ensure their socks are clean)

And speaking of fields, I can't resist this one, although you maybe 'had to be there'.  At school sports day, an adorable friend of my sons' was taking part in the obstacle race.

She had just completed the 'sack' section and was ready for the final sprint to the finishing line. However, as she stepped out of the sack and set off she realised she was running in her stocking feet, having left her shoes behind in the sack.

Bless her, instead of carrying on with a chance for victory, she went back, fished her shoes out of the sack and returned them to their rightful place, much to the amusement of the onlooking peers and parents.  She finally finished the race just as the next one was about to begin, giggling all the way.  Now, that's what I call a good sport.

Tip number five: Make up your own title (that's an instruction, not a title, by the way)

Of course, my inspiration (and indeed my reason for living) largely comes from within my own four walls, courtesy of my beautiful boys.

So I'll end on a Teddy special this week.  While outside playing cricket with the local kids, Teddy said our neighbour had come out and joined in their game.  He later informed me, out of interest, that our neighbour was left-handed but right-footed.

Anyway, we chatted some more and I commented that our neighbour had probably enjoyed the chance to join in the game with the local kids, as he didn't have any children himself.

To which Teddy replied: "Is that because he's left-handed and right-footed?"