Wednesday 3 April 2013

Toss an Escudo or make a run for it

Being a hen in Portugal must be pretty darn hard work.
The average inhabitant of the country seems to consume at least four eggs a day; that’s a whole lot of laying.
You’re about to tuck into your roast beef and lo and behold a fried egg is sat on top of it, as they do alongside most meat dishes.  Boiled eggs accompany many a fish dish and there’s none of your fancy slicing or mashing with mayo; it’s just boiled and shelled. I always approach my chocolate mousse with some trepidation, and a pinch of salt, just in case.
Returning to Portugal again (you may recall I lived there for a number of years and returned to the UK in 2006) is real culinary trip down memory lane.
I remember the first time I met my intended’s (now ex's) parents; I spent an entire day smiling for England and eating twice my own body weight.  My facial muscles ached for days and the whole chicken (and several eggs) in my belly took its toll I can tell you.
Meeting the prospective in-laws is an ordeal at the best of times.  The ‘best of times’ for me would have simply being able to speak their language, or them speaking mine.
There I am at the dinner table with the whole family, nodding, grinning and feigning an expression of complete comprehension as they put the world to rights in, as far as I was concerned, gobbledygook.
I had been tipped off that Portuguese women like people to enjoy their food.  So, unable to contribute conversationally, I ate, and ate, and ate (and nodded and smiled).
Suddenly, there was a lull in the incomprehensible jabber and all eyes were on me.  Oh no, what’s wrong?  Have I got egg on my chin, parsley in my teeth, sprouted another head or, even worse, has someone asked me a question?
I reckon have a 50/50 chance with the simple response 'sim' or 'nao'.  
Should I toss an Escudo or make a run for it? 
Now, thus far, my very basic understanding of the language armed me with ‘your house is lovely’ (tem uma casa bonita), ‘pleased to meet you’ (muito prazer) and ‘I’d like a ham and cheese toastie please’ (quero uma tosta mista por favor).  In those days, I wasn’t quite ready to share my views on the European Monetary Union.
What a relief it was then when my fiancĂ© translated that his mother had simply asked; ‘why was I at university when I was so old, was I marrying her son to gain Portuguese nationality and would I like another chicken leg?’
I nodded, shoved in another potato and smiled.