Saturday 9 March 2013

My egg-cellent son

This is dedicated to my son Teddy, without whom this blog, and my life, would be very dull!
He may get egg on his chin once in a while but the beauty of it is, he just doesn't care!
But more of that anon.

As a quick random rambling aside, a la Ronnie Corbett sat in the Mastermind chair, I might change the name of my blog to, 'what or whom is annoying me this week'.
And first up are.....people who clean the pavement outside their house by sweeping the fag ends etc in front of their neighbour's house!  (I saw it with my own eyes on my way to work yesterday, why would you do that; maybe I should have stopped the car and asked!)

Anyway, where was I?
Oh yes, Teddy.  I'm so proud of him this week I could pop.

Back in September, he was adamant that he was NOT joining his fellow Street Dance 'crew' for the dance school's show Legends, professionally hosted by the Lawrence Batley Theatre.
Last weekend, I joined nearly a thousand fellow popping mums, dads, grans and grandads to see him dance in four performances over an exhausting weekend.
The show itself is an absolute credit to Katie Philpott, her school, teachers and, of course, the dancers, aged from just-out-of-nappies to school-leavers, some of whom are heading to prestigious dance colleges (oh, and an excellent group of fellow forty-something-year-old tappers).
A cast of 300+ girls and boys danced ballet, tap, jazz, modern and street with musical theatre thrown in for a few giggles (unfortunately, I now can't stop humming It's a Hard-Knock Life! - bet, you can't either now!).
I cannot gush too much about how excellent this show truly is (regardless of whether your own budding Bussell is in it or not).  Mind you, ask me which the best dance was and I may show slight bias....the Smooth Criminals of course!

But I'm most proud of Teddy for facing his fears and showing a growing confidence that I hope will stand him in good stead in future life.

Anyway, about that eggy chin of his......
On the way home from the final show, I was asking Teddy and fellow street dancer Jacob about  World Book Day and what costumes they were planning to wear for school (by the way, this idle chat was just a cunning ruse to keep the shattered pair awake).  The conversation went thus: -

Me: "Who are you going as on World Book Day, Jacob?"
Jacob: "Hamlet"
Teddy: "Isn't that a sandwich?"
Me and Jacob: "Eh?"
Teddy: "Oh no, hang on, that's Omelette."

I could write a book........

Smooth Criminals